20 : Synthesis – A New Approach to Creative Problem Solving
What is 20 : Synthesis? It is a simple yet powerful technique that can help you generate novel and effective solutions to any challenge. The idea is to combine 20 different concepts or ideas from various domains and synthesize them into a new one. Sounds easy, right? But how do you do it?
Here are the steps:
- Define your problem or goal clearly and concisely.
- Brainstorm 20 different concepts or ideas that are related to your problem or goal. They can be from any field or discipline, such as science, art, literature, history, technology, etc. Write them down on a piece of paper or a digital document.
- Shuffle the concepts or ideas randomly and pick two at a time. Try to find a connection or a similarity between them. How can they complement or enhance each other? How can they create something new or different?
- Write down the new concept or idea that emerges from the synthesis of the two original ones. Repeat this process until you have 10 new concepts or ideas.
- Evaluate the 10 new concepts or ideas and select the one that best solves your problem or meets your goal. You can use criteria such as feasibility, originality, usefulness, impact, etc.
- Implement your chosen concept or idea and test its effectiveness. If needed, refine it or try another one.
That’s it! You have just used 20 : Synthesis to create a unique and innovative solution to your challenge. This technique can be applied to any domain or context, such as business, education, design, personal growth, etc. It can help you break out of your mental rut and discover new possibilities and perspectives. Try it out and see what you can come up with!
Why is 20 : Synthesis effective? There are several reasons. First, it forces you to think outside the box and explore diverse and unconventional sources of inspiration. This can help you overcome cognitive biases and assumptions that limit your creativity. Second, it stimulates your associative thinking and your ability to combine and recombine ideas in novel ways. This can help you create original and unexpected solutions that stand out from the crowd. Third, it challenges you to find the essence and the value of each concept or idea and how they can contribute to your problem or goal. This can help you create solutions that are relevant and meaningful to your audience or customers.
What are some examples of 20 : Synthesis in action? Here are a few. Airbnb is a synthesis of hospitality, travel, social media, and sharing economy. It allows people to rent out their spare rooms or properties to travelers and earn extra income. Spotify is a synthesis of music, streaming, personalization, and subscription. It allows users to access millions of songs and podcasts on demand and create their own playlists. Uber is a synthesis of transportation, mobile app, GPS, and peer-to-peer network. It allows users to request a ride from nearby drivers and pay with their smartphones.
As you can see, 20 : Synthesis can help you create solutions that are innovative, valuable, and impactful. It can also help you have fun and enjoy the creative process. So what are you waiting for? Grab a pen and paper or your laptop and start synthesizing!