20th Century Girl: How to Dress Like a Vintage Icon
If you love the style of the 20th century, you might want to dress like a vintage icon. Whether you prefer the glamour of the 1920s, the elegance of the 1950s, or the rock ‘n’ roll of the 1970s, there are plenty of ways to channel your inner 20th century girl. Here are some tips on how to dress like a vintage icon and make a statement with your fashion choices.
Choose Your Era
The first step to dress like a vintage icon is to choose your era. Each decade of the 20th century had its own distinctive style, so you need to decide which one suits you best. You can also mix and match elements from different eras to create your own unique look. Here are some examples of 20th century style icons and their signature outfits:
- 1920s: Think flapper dresses, cloche hats, pearls, and feathers. Channel your inner Coco Chanel, Louise Brooks, or Clara Bow.
- 1930s: Think bias-cut gowns, fur stoles, gloves, and hats. Channel your inner Greta Garbo, Marlene Dietrich, or Bette Davis.
- 1940s: Think tailored suits, pencil skirts, blouses, and victory rolls. Channel your inner Katharine Hepburn, Rita Hayworth, or Lauren Bacall.
- 1950s: Think full skirts, cinched waists, cardigans, and pearls. Channel your inner Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe, or Grace Kelly.
- 1960s: Think mini dresses, mod prints, shift dresses, and go-go boots. Channel your inner Twiggy, Edie Sedgwick, or Jackie Kennedy.
- 1970s: Think bell-bottoms, platform shoes, maxi dresses, and fringe. Channel your inner Farrah Fawcett, Bianca Jagger, or Debbie Harry.
- 1980s: Think shoulder pads, neon colors, leggings, and big hair. Channel your inner Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, or Princess Diana.
- 1990s: Think grunge, denim, crop tops, and chokers. Channel your inner Courtney Love, Winona Ryder, or Jennifer Aniston.
Find Your Inspiration
The next step to dress like a vintage icon is to find your inspiration. You can look for photos of your favorite 20th century style icons online or in magazines and books. You can also watch movies and TV shows set in different eras to get a feel for the fashion trends of the time. Some examples of movies and TV shows that showcase 20th century fashion are:
- The Great Gatsby (2013) for the 1920s
- Casablanca (1942) for the 1940s
- Roman Holiday (1953) for the 1950s
- Breathless (1960) for the 1960s
- Saturday Night Fever (1977) for the 1970s
- Pretty in Pink (1986) for the 1980s
- Clueless (1995) for the 1990s
You can also browse through vintage shops and thrift stores to find authentic pieces from different eras. You might be surprised by what treasures you can find!
Add Your Personal Touch
The final step to dress like a vintage icon is to add your personal touch. You don’t have to copy every detail of your style icon’s outfit; you can make it your own by adding some modern elements or accessories. For example:
- You can pair a vintage dress with a leather jacket or a denim jacket for a more edgy look.
- You can wear sneakers or boots with a skirt or a dress for a more casual look.
- You can add some jewelry