What is Abisambidana Piritha and Why You Should Listen to It
Abisambidana Piritha is a Buddhist chant that is recited by monks to invoke the blessings of the Buddha and his teachings. The word “Abisambidana” means “the exposition of the higher knowledge” and the word “Piritha” means “protection”. Abisambidana Piritha is one of the most powerful and popular piriths in Sri Lanka and other Buddhist countries.
In this article, we will explore the meaning, benefits and ways of listening to Abisambidana Piritha. We will also provide you with some links to listen to this pirith online or download it for offline use.
The Meaning of Abisambidana Piritha
Abisambidana Piritha is composed of four verses that summarize the essence of the Buddha’s teachings. The first verse praises the Buddha as the supreme teacher who has realized the ultimate truth and taught it to others. The second verse praises the Dhamma (the doctrine) as the path that leads to liberation from suffering. The third verse praises the Sangha (the community) as the noble disciples who have followed the Dhamma and attained various stages of enlightenment. The fourth verse expresses the wish to be reborn in a favorable realm where one can continue to practice the Dhamma and attain Nibbana (the final goal).
The verses are as follows:
Namo abhisambhidÄnÄya yuttÄya yuttÄya pajjalatÄ«ti
PajjalatÄ«ti pabbajitÄ pabbajitÄ tihaá¹
Tihaá¹ bhagavÄ arahaá¹ sammÄsambuddho
VijjÄcaraá¹asampanno sugato lokavidÅ«
Anuttaro purisadammasÄrathi satthÄ devamanussÄnaá¹ buddho bhagavÄti
Namo dhammÄya paÃ±Ã±attiyÄ paÃ±Ã±attiyÄ anupaÃ±Ã±attiyÄti
AnupaÃ±Ã±attiyÄ anupaÃ±Ã±attaá¹ anupaÃ±Ã±attaá¹ tihaá¹
Tihaá¹ bhagavatÄ dhammo desito sandiá¹á¹hiko akÄliko ehipassiko opaneyyiko paccattaá¹ veditabbo viÃ±Ã±Å«hÄ«ti
Namo saá¹ ghassa suppaá¹ipannassa paá¹ipannassa anuppaá¹ipannassÄti
Anuppaá¹ipannassa anuppaá¹ipannaá¹ anuppaá¹ipannaá¹ tihaá¹
Tihaá¹ bhagavato sÄvakasaá¹ gho ariyo atthangiko maggo
Ujuppaá¹ipanno sÄvakasaá¹ gho Ã±Äyappaá¹ipanno sÄvakasaá¹ gho sÄmÄ«cippaá¹ipanno sÄvakasaá¹ gho yadidaá¹ cattÄri purisayugÄni aá¹á¹ha purisapuggalÄ esa bhagavato sÄvakasaá¹ gho Ähuneyyo pÄhuneyyo dakkhiá¹eyyo aÃ±jalikaraá¹Ä«yo anuttaraá¹ puÃ±Ã±akkhettaá¹ lokassÄti
Imehi ca tÄ«hi saraá¹ehi saha imaá¹ catuttha saraá¹a gacchÄmi
Sukhino vata me sattÄ hontu sabbe pi pÄnabhÅ«t’atthi
Ye ca tattha vasanti avidÅ«re appamatto ca nipako ca
The Benefits of Abisambidana Piritha
Listening to Abisambidana Piritha can bring many benefits to one’s physical, mental and spiritual well-being. Some of the benefits are:
- It can protect one from various diseases, dangers and misfortunes by invoking the power of the Triple Gem (the Buddha, the Dhamma and the Sangha) and the noble qualities of the enlightened disciples .
- It can increase one’s faith, wisdom, virtue, concentration and insight by reflecting on the profound teachings of the Buddha and his followers .
- It can generate merit and blessings by offering respect and gratitude to the Buddha and his disciples who have shown the way to liberation .
- It can create a positive and peaceful atmosphere in one’s surroundings by spreading the vibrations of loving-kindness and compassion .
- It can help one to overcome obstacles and achieve success in one’s endeavors by aligning oneself with the noble eightfold path .
- It can prepare one for a favorable rebirth in a higher realm where one can continue to practice the Dhamma and attain Nibbana .
How to Listen to Abisambidana Piritha
There are different ways of listening to Abisambidana Piritha depending on one’s preference and availability. Some of the ways are:
- One can listen to Abisambidana Piritha live from a temple or a monastery where monks recite it regularly. This is the most traditional and authentic way of listening to pirith. One can also join the monks in chanting along if one knows the verses.
- One can listen to Abisambidana Piritha online or offline from various sources such as YouTube, websites, apps, CDs, etc. This is a convenient and accessible way of listening to pirith anytime and anywhere. One can also choose the duration, frequency and volume of listening according to one’s preference.
- One can listen to Abisambidana Piritha with mindfulness and understanding by paying attention to the meaning and significance of each verse. This is a beneficial way of listening to pirith that can enhance one’s knowledge and insight into the Dhamma. One can also use a translation or a commentary to help one comprehend the verses better.
- One can listen to Abisambidana Piritha with devotion and reverence by expressing one’s faith and gratitude towards the Buddha and his disciples. This is a wholesome way of listening to pirith that can cultivate one’s virtue and merit. One can also make offerings such as flowers, incense, candles, etc. to show one’s respect and appreciation.
No matter how one listens to Abisambidana Piritha, one should do so with a clear and pure mind that is free from greed, hatred and delusion. One should also have a sincere intention to follow the teachings of the Buddha and attain liberation from suffering.