How to Secure Your DNS Traffic with DNSCloak
DNSCloak is a free app for iOS devices that allows you to override and secure your DNS queries with DNSCrypt and DNS-over-HTTPS/2 (DoH) resolvers. It works with both WiFi and cellular connections and prevents DNS spoofing, which is a type of cyberattack that redirects your web requests to malicious websites. In this article, we will explain what DNSCloak is, how it works, and how to set it up on your iPhone or iPad.
What is DNSCloak?
DNSCloak is an app that implements two protocols: DNSCrypt and DNS-over-HTTPS/2 (DoH). These protocols are designed to authenticate and encrypt the communication between your device and the DNS resolver, which is a server that translates domain names (such as www.google.com) into IP addresses (such as 220.127.116.11). By using these protocols, you can ensure that your DNS queries are not tampered with by hackers, ISPs, or governments who may want to monitor or censor your online activity.
DNSCrypt is a protocol that uses signatures to verify that the responses you receive from the DNS resolver are genuine and have not been altered. You can learn more about DNSCrypt at https://dnscrypt.info.
DNS-over-HTTPS/2 (DoH) is a protocol that uses HTTPS encryption to secure your DNS queries over the internet. It also supports TLS 1.3, which is the latest version of the Transport Layer Security protocol that provides improved security and performance. You can learn more about DoH at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_over_HTTPS.
What are the benefits of using DNSCloak?
By using DNSCloak, you can enjoy the following benefits:
- Protect your privacy and security by preventing DNS spoofing, tracking, and filtering.
- Access blocked or censored websites by using a DNS resolver that supports DNSSEC, which is a protocol that verifies the authenticity of the domain names.
- Improve your browsing speed and experience by using a fast and reliable DNS resolver that supports load balancing and caching.
- Customize your settings and preferences by using the built-in config editor that allows you to choose your preferred resolvers, blacklist or whitelist domains, enable domain cloaking or forwarding, and more.
- Use the app for free without any ads or in-app purchases.
How to set up DNSCloak on your iOS device?
Setting up DNSCloak on your iOS device is easy and straightforward. Just follow these steps:
- Download and install the app from the App Store.
- Launch the app and tap on the “Start” button.
- Select one or more resolvers from the list. You can filter them by name, country, features, or latency. If you don’t select any resolver, the app will use the whole list.
- Tap on the “Use selected resolvers” button.
- A VPN icon will appear on the top left corner of your screen, indicating that the app is active and working.
Congratulations! You have successfully secured your DNS traffic with DNSCloak. You can now browse the web with more privacy and security.
How to change or disable DNSCloak?
If you want to change or disable DNSCloak, you can do so by following these steps:
- Launch the app and tap on the “Stop” button.
- If you want to change your resolvers, tap on the “Select resolvers” button and choose different ones from the list.
- If you want to disable the app completely, tap on the “Settings” icon on the top right corner of the screen.
- Tap on “VPN Profile” and then tap on “Remove VPN Profile”.
- Confirm your action by tapping on “Remove”.
You have successfully changed or disabled DNSCloak. You can re-enable it anytime by following the steps above.
DNSCloak is a powerful and useful app